Inland Waters Code
- Keep to speed limits.
- Minimise wash, especially around sensitive river and lakeside habitats, other water users and moored boats.
- Minimise noise, especially when around others and wildlife.
- Don’t throw anything overboard.
- Avoid damaging sensitive habitats by using designated slipways to land and launch and available moorings whenever possible.
- Keep your boat’s bottom clean to maximise efficiency.
- Follow best practice when handling fuels, oils, paints and blacking, and dispose of in hazardous waste bins.
- Avoid discharging black water even in tidal areas.
- Use environmentally friendly products onboard
- Follow the Check, Clean, Dry guidance to prevent the spread of invasive species.
- Observe wildlife from a distance, and avoid directly approaching if at all possible.
- Research your destination to get the most out of your visit.
- Plan your route taking proper account of weather, and tides when on rivers and estuaries.
- Take relevant training to enhance your awareness, confidence and enjoyment.
- Plan your clothing choices for bad weather
- Make the most of the UK’s amazing inland waters whilst safeguarding their waters, wildlife and habitats!