Invasive Species Best Practice
Invasive Non-Native Species
- When leaving an anchorage, wash off both the anchor and chain before stowing
- For boats kept in the water permanently, hull fouling is the main means of transfer. Lift, scrub and antifoul annually.
- Avoid sailing through water plants and weed if possible. If caught up on the hull or propeller, invasive species can be transferred to another area
- When recovering a trailer, dinghy, PWC or RIB, drain water from every part of the boat and all equipment that can hold water
- Clean all parts of the boat, trailer and equipment that come into contact with the water before leaving the water catchment area. Remove any visible plant, fish, animal matter and mud and dispose of in a dustbin.
- Report any suspicions on invasive species sightings to the Food and Environment Research Agency, call 0800 807060
Find out more
Leaflets and Resources